No announcement yet.

A thread for movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sort of want to sit near someone having a nerdgasm over an "Easter egg" in these films. Once.
    I question the total number of people that excited over Easter eggs.
    All this multiverse crap is a scam so they can pump out more stories. Don't believe it kids. It is a gimmick! There is no other universe where Spiderman is getting it on with Princess Leia while Jean LUC Picard marries Dr. Xavier.

Wait a minute. I'd like to see that movie.

Comment

• RSK
      RSK commented
      Editing a comment
      TMI.

The new production of Lucia de Lammermoor at the Met is stunning. Thoroughly modernized but utterly true to the score and libretto. Set in modern rust belt small town. Film crews and cell cameras everywhere. Pawn shops, quickie marts and 24 hr pharmacies too. Diva in frayed jeans and a puffy, dollar store ski jacket. White guys covered in tats--even Lucia has a couple. Shows both exterior world and interior world (through video screen above stage but same size showing both real interiors in real time and later showing Lucia's hallucinatory interiors in monochrome) as she frays and splits mentally. Musical score is untouched but the various tenor and soprano screams seem much different in the new settings. Whole stage set on a platter constantly revolving through the tawdry, limited town. Diva pulling a full-on Carrie in her wedding dress covered in blood from bludgeoning Arturo's body and then his blood-drenched corpse with a fire extinguisher in a cheap motel room.

Basically, they took a huge chance with this production and it really, really works. This is not simply setting Hamlet in Hitler's Germany or whatever. This is a completely new exterior--and thoroughly 21st century interior--reimagining that just plain worked. I've never seen the small crowds we get here gather in the lobby and buzz about the show until yesterday.

I often disagree with reviews and so read them only after seeing the show. One reviewer in wapo caught it perfectly (which is rare): "“Lucia di Lammermoor” is an operatic experience that lands somewhere between the rubble of an obliterated fourth wall and an episode of 'Euphoria.' I barely recognized Lucia, but I’ve also never seen her quite so clearly."

And...while this is a very old and even over-presented opera...you should know it is NOT over when the not fat at all soprano sings, and two tenors die over the girl...as well as the girl, of course..so stay in your seat a little longer.
    Last edited by NFFrog; May 22, 2022, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Top Gun Maverick is crazy good. Be prepared to take an unsettling journey to wherever or whoever you were 35 years ago when the original came out. Or I did anyway.

It’s so hard to get sequels right. They nailed this.

Comment

• pcf
        pcf commented
        Editing a comment
        I never saw the original, but Top Gun Maverick was a perfect summer movie. Great pace and never dragged. The good guys won, the relationships were healed, good humor.

It is not a challenging movie at all and is very superficial, but it couldn't be any better.

• NFFrog
        NFFrog commented
        Editing a comment
        "It is not a challenging movie at all and is very superficial, but it couldn't be any better. "

Oddly, that pretty much describes Red Notice (on Netflix now, not sure it was ever in theaters) which my daughter and I watched last night except there was no pretense of being crazy good. Perfectly mindless but perfectly watchable at the same time.

Bob's Burgers.

Never watched the TV show and never will, but this has a few laughs. Voices are funny.

Comment

• Lyle Lanley III
        Lyle Lanley III commented
        Editing a comment
        The show really grew on me over time. Am interested in the movie, but may wait until I can stream it at home.

• Boston Frog
        Boston Frog commented
        Editing a comment
        The TV show is great

Watched the new Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers movie on Disney + with my 9 year-old. Much like the Lego Movies, a kid's movie that is enjoyable for adults as well. Didn't know it ahead of time, it was made by Andy Samberg's comedy troupe The Lonely Island.

Also introduced the boy to the original Top Gun, and am planning to take him to see the sequel sometime soon.

Comment

I don't much watch movies anyway, but I can't stomach Tom Cruise.

Comment

• pcf
          pcf commented
          Editing a comment
          Get a movie pass and you'll watch anything to get your average price per movie (appm) down.

About half a year into the annual pass and my appm is $4.80. $168 for the pass plus a free $45 in concessions.

If I subtract the $45 from the pass price, I'm at $3.51. I am aiming for $2. Ideally, I'd like to be the movie equivalent of the guy thrown out of the AYCE buffet.

Watched Adam Sandler's Hustle and it's a nice non-heavy palette cleanser. Not a silly Happy Gilmore/Waterboy type sports movie (which I enjoy, not saying that as a bad thing necessarily). Sandler plays a pretty straight-man character and the guy the got to play the Euro prospect (who is an NBA player) is very good and subtle as an actor.

Comment

• Lyle Lanley III
          Lyle Lanley III commented
          Editing a comment
          I watched it this weekend and would agree with your opinion of it. If you remember the Billy Crystal movie "Forget Paris" where they weaved in a lot of NBA cameos because his character is an NBA referee, this was like that but on steroids. Some cameos are instantly recognizable, others a little more obscure and maybe only evident to the super fan. Several current/former Mavs.

Elvis.

I kinda like Elvis and I thought the movie was very effective as visual art and in presenting some aspects of Elvis very clearly. Enjoyable for fans in our group and skeptical young people.

Comment

Seeing the Minions tomorrow.
          Yeah....I dont believe it either....

Comment

Planning on taking the boy to partake in further woke culture homosexual indoctrination to anger God this weekend. Gonna see Lightyear.

Comment

Originally posted by MercenaryLibrarian View Post
              Planning on taking the boy to partake in further woke culture homosexual indoctrination to anger God this weekend. Gonna see Lightyear.
              Have you seen the trailer for the gay rom com? My wife and my dad gave me weird looks when I said I wanted to see it Billy Eichner is funny.

I'm a little lesbianed out lately, Even Murders in the Building is going lesbian. Asexual programming is underrated.

Comment

Working...
              X