No announcement yet.

Gaming the Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to wapo, Michigan decertifies 5 repub candidates for governor for fraudulent signatures on their filings (law there requires 15K signatures to be put on the ballot). Specifically...

The gubernatorial candidates were required to collect at least 15,000 valid signatures to appear on the ballot. According to the elections bureau, Craig’s campaign submitted 11,113 invalid signatures and only 10,192 “facially valid” ones, while Johnson’s* campaign submitted 9,393 invalid signatures and 13,800 facially valid ones, leaving both below the required threshold.

The bureau’s investigation also found that Brandenburg’s campaign submitted 11,144 invalid signatures and 6,634 facially valid ones; Brown’s campaign submitted 13,809 invalid signatures and 7,091 facially valid ones; and Markey’s campaign submitted 17,374 invalid signatures and 4,430 facially valid ones.
    Rather large level of election fraud there one could say. And all concentrated into one party--the party of "freedom". Freedom to commit crimes in the service of personal money and power, that is, it appears.

-------
    *Johnson in particular has run on "concerns about election security". It would appear his concerns were well founded.
    Last edited by NFFrog; May 24, 2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• This is so excellent. Quite frankly the only hope Michigan has. Of course I’m voting for Gretchen anyway, but getting rid of anti-democratic candidates is my cup of tea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friskyfrog View Post
        So much for Roe being settled law. I’m literally shaking.
        this means Obergefell is not settled either, no matter what Alito says. I’m worried for our country.

Comment

• NFFrog
          NFFrog commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd quit being "worried". It's way beyond that now. Time to start letting "shithole country" start rolling around your tongue.

• Poison Arrow Frog
          Poison Arrow Frog commented
          Editing a comment
          Beyond worried. I think our republic/democracy is done for.

• Originally posted by Friskyfrog View Post
        You boys are gonna have to help me understand this testicle tanning thing.
        I think testicles are an organ. So, would one cut them out to tan them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poison Arrow Frog View Post
          this means Obergefell is not settled either, no matter what Alito says. I’m worried for our country.
          I am beyond worried. I think our republic is done for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poison Arrow Frog View Post

I am beyond worried. I think our republic is done for.
            Same. There's always been a lot of contention amongst the factions within the U.S., but for a while there we were able to kind of begrudgingly get along. I think 9/11 broke the truce (what little of a truce we had). Ironically, we "came together" as a country and were in many ways convinced to do things against our interests and better judgment. The internet allowed for the "patriots" and their ilk to start spreading anti-anti-American propaganda and started targeting anybody that seemed vaguely Muslim. Meanwhile, other people started to see that these nationalists were becoming a problem and started speaking up, but not really doing anything which allowed the nationalists to feel more attacked but still free to dig bigger trenches.
            2016 was the tipping point because let's face it, the nationalists won. There's no going back. I guess there's a chance that we can reign it all in after a few decades and there's a near-complete overhaul of the people in power, but I don't think we have that kind of time nor do I think we have the upcoming talent to replace the useless leaders that hold power now. We're already seeing some Millennials entering the political stage and some of them are even crazier right-wing than their predecessors while others on the other side have a lot of ideas and rhetoric but have no idea how to actually make it happen.

Of course, there's a good chance that climate change or nuclear war will take us out sooner, so there's that.

Comment

• There are so many fundamental structural problems. There are some that we've had before. The partisanship of media was arguably worse in the pre-major radio/TV network era with different newspapers selling completely different narratives and agendas. I guess the main difference is the expedience with which modern media gets those messages out and the ability of the consumers of the media to be an active part of the feedback loop.

The efforts to restrict voting and gerrymandering have been persistent problems throughout our history.

There are two things that I think are different now. First, the unintended consequence of making the primary process more democratic (small d) over the last 50-60 years has resulted in the slow erosion of party control in the hands of a centrist elite. On the surface, that old-school smoke-filled back-room control seems bad. But there is no way either party prior to 1968 would have allowed a Trump to win the nomination. On the flip side, that elite was also more than willing to continue to disenfranchise huge swaths of the electorate in a way that modern partisans cannot ... the modern versions have to work in the margins to restrict voting. But people like Trump don't make it into the White House prior to Goldwater.

Second, it feels like the circumstances of holding office at the national level, and increasingly at the state and local level too, has become so awful that no functional, rational, community-service minded person in their right mind would ever entertain even the idea of running for office. I think it is probably true that the kinds of people who would run for office have always skewed toward the power-hungry and narcissistic, But I think it was at least conceivable that some earnest civic-minded human would want to run for office. I cannot imagine who would willingly want to put up with the nutters screaming at school board meetings, armed nutters storming capitol buildings, death threats toward family. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Comment

• MercenaryLibrarian
                MercenaryLibrarian commented
                Editing a comment
                If you want to be an elected official/political office holder, you are already unqualified to be one.

• Boston Frog
                Boston Frog commented
                Editing a comment
                To me, so much of this is down to social media. There were lies and distortions when media was almost entirely curated, but they didn't spread like wildfire with help from Russian operatives, bots and an army of basement-dwelling incels (who might or might not actually live in basements and be incels). Media outlets could still make money by having some level of integrity and reporting mostly news rather than reducing everything to a "take." I remember when we in the trade press, the small time, stopped trying to get "scoops" and started to go for "scoops of perception"--basically the hottest takes. That was the beginning of the end.

Lies now immediately become truth depending on who tells them and who's listening, and they spread in seconds. Smartphones have made this phenomenon worse. Remember when we used to take breaks from posting on the old Frog Fan Forum? (I mean the really old one.) People logged off and went home, mostly. (Let's not pretend we didn't post from work.) That was kind of how the internet worked. Now the disinformation machine is alive and working 27/7/365. Statements have to be more and more outrageous to get attention. It's a laugh to me that Phil Donahue was once considered controversial. He wouldn't even be able to sustain a YouTube show in 2022.
            Working...
            X