No announcement yet.

Gaming the Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for Roe being settled law. I’m literally shaking.

Comment

• Here is an article with the draft. This is terrifying. What else will they return to the states.
      "We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled," Justice Alito writes in an initial majority draft circulated inside the court.

Comment

• Friskyfrog
        Friskyfrog commented
        Editing a comment
        They are pushing for a national ban. The state-to-state set up will be short-lived.

• Friskyfrog
        Friskyfrog commented
        Editing a comment
        And yes, interracial marriage, birth control and gay marriage are directly tied to Roe and could quickly be cast back to states. A gay friend engaged to be married next Spring just texted and said they will now likely elope if Obergefell gets threatened and hope for grandfathered marriage privileges. They have been planning this wedding down to the tiniest detail for months. They asked to have my cookies with them starting that morning so they could eat them at anytime during their special day.

• Poison Arrow Frog
        Poison Arrow Frog commented
        Editing a comment
        This.

• My whole life I have imagined what the moment would feel like if they ever did this. It’s actually a million times worse than I ever pictured.

probably should start a new thread because I’ve got a lot of thoughts

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Friskyfrog View Post
          My whole life I have imagined what the moment would feel like if they ever did this. It’s actually a million times worse than I ever pictured.

probably should start a new thread because I’ve got a lot of thoughts
          Who knew that 2 decades of monetizing consequence-free, anonymously-funded propaganda and allowing it free access to public resources like airwave bandwidth since the Reagan era would have any deleterious effects on society? Whoever could have predicted potential bad results?

That said, it's looking like we have another one of those bad patches to live through coming up. Seen several now since I first became aware of such things in the 50s. So far we've emerged--sometimes pretty scarred--each time. So I guess there's hope.

As Ayn Rand pointed out in the train tunnel scene, propaganda has a way of catching up with those relying on unreality eventually. (I find it interesting how the propagandists these days love to quote her yet miss that part. I mean Trumpism really is at base just another form of Moochism as should obvious to anyone who looks for a second or so.)
          Last edited by NFFrog; May 03, 2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friskyfrog View Post
            I know a fair amount of women who will be celebrating this too. But they won't be apathetic, as is the point of the tweet.

Comment

• Larry Hogan sure sounds like he's running in 2024.

Comment

• Hogan is another guy setting himself up to be RINOed.

Comment

• Lyle Lanley III
                  Lyle Lanley III commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately, yes. People don't want to hear the truth about false idols.

• Picking up a car at the mechanics, I got a 3-minute dose of Fox and Friends this morning, and they were talking about Dave Chappelle getting attacked on stage last night. They are taking the position that Chappelle is some sort of anti-woke hero, who the left tried to "cancel" because he told some anti-trans jokes, and that comedy is protected speech that often does and should cause offense.

To the last point, yes, I agree. Although I wonder if Fox and Friends would feel the same way if Chappelle, a converted Muslim, were to do anti-Christian bits. I did see a report that the name of his next special is supposed to be "Marry, Screw, or Kill? – Moses, Jesus, and Mohammad." Wonder how Brian Kilmeade will feel about that one ...

To the first point, I didn't watch his special, so I didn't really get a feel for how much he was punching down at trans people. But, as per usual, what I heard was criticism of the jokes, not cancellation. No one is taking him off the air. He didn't lose any gigs. The people criticizing him have just as much freedom of speech as he has.

And, finally thanks Will Smith for ushering the age of physically attacking performances you don't like. I guess it goes along with the advent of attacking officials who make calls you don't like, so maybe we've been in this phase already ... Will Smith has just expanded it into a new vocation ...

Comment

• Boston Frog
                  Boston Frog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Donald Trump did a lot to encourage physically attacking dissenters, but you make a good point about Will Smith, too.

I don't think of Chappelle as anti-woke. I doubt he think of himself that way. But you're right. He hasn't been "de-platformed." He has a massive platform.

• Free speech means people can say what they want, the free market means that I can decide if I want to see a person perform (and a corporation/venue/network can decide if they want to do business with someone). People on every side of politics routinely make decisions, so it’s ludicrous that the party that in recent months has attacked potato head toys and M&M candy footwear runs around decrying cancel culture. By the way, I think their “groomer” attacks on Disney cross a line into potentially actionable defamation.

Comment

• Friskyfrog
                  Friskyfrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Disney is known to be exceedingly litigious. When I was directing the deaf ed Spring Shows back in Plano, I was warned to not let kids do Disney songs because Disney actually will sue elementary schools over this. So I spent months trying to get their permission but never got a response until the day of the show when they sent a fax saying the “death” kids had permission (oof what an unfortunate typo), but could only sign songs not sing them. At that point I was like whatever come at me, the show is literally today and you just called them death kids.

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Disney cops make phone cops look like kittens.

• Boston Frog
                  Boston Frog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Death Kids is my next punk band

And that's a tremendous WKRP reference from NFF

• Hoo boy, the last few hours on Twitter. Matt Gaetz decrying “over-educated women,” performative virtue signaling on Fox and Newsmax, and now a Madison Cawthorn video that I can never unsee.

Comment

• SFAFrog
                  SFAFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why did I search for it when I saw a reference to it? I thought it would be like the cruise picture.

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Something tells me Matt is rather deeply terrified by equally or more powerful women and totally uninteresting to them in any case. There's a reason he "seduces" young women.

• I really, really thought this was a parody site article.

Tump, the then-leader of the free world, also inquired whether the U.S. could bomb China in retaliation for the alleged hurricane attack

Comment

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And here I thot the hurricane gun was a Florida offensive set.

• Duquesne Frog
                  Duquesne Frog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hurricane Gun was my favorite Band of Gypsies song ...

• Republicans nominated an uber-MAGA nutter for governor in PA today. And the progressive Democrat who is going to win the nomination for Senate isn't at his victory party because he had a stroke and may need heart surgery.

But otherwise, things are fine up here in PA ...
                Last edited by Duquesne Frog; May 17, 2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Penn is looking like surgery is a pretty darned good idea, these days.

• Looks like no more orgy invites for Madison Cawthorn, come next Congress. Sad.

Comment

• Just went to vote in the primary runoff. Not a big George P. Bush fan, but he's not Ken Paxton so that's enough for me.

Comment

• MercenaryLibrarian
                    MercenaryLibrarian commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's like a choice where nobody wins. A week ago, I might have agreed with you until last week but then GPB announced that as AG he would seek to punish companies that help employees get abortions.

• Zebra Frog
                    Zebra Frog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Vote Democratic in November. Problem solved.
                Working...
                X