No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20,000 Americans have now died from Covid in March - making it the 21st month out of the last 24 in which we've passed that mark.
    • 150,000 Americans have now died from Covid in 2022.

Comment

• Covid hospitalizations in Texas are below 1,500 for the first time since last June.

Comment

• Today's tally for Covid hospitalizations in Texas is 1,426 - the lowest it's been since April of 2020.

Comment

• My son was called up to Goose Bay to serve as medical backup to some USAF fighter pilots up from Florida doing low-level flight training last week. After 2 years hanging around nursing homes and ER's as an Advanced Care Medic just a couple of days with Americans from Florida has got him COVID. Thanks Guv DeS. You really make America "exceptional".

Comment

• The rolling 7-day average for Covid deaths in Texas is now lower than it has been at any point since April 2020.

Comment

• Looks like we hit a million dead right about today-ish.

We had to work hard at it, but we did it.

Comment

• Covid hospitalizations in Texas are above 3,000 today for the first time since March 3rd, and the percentage of tests coming back positive is above 30% for the first time since January 27th.

Worth putting some perspective in here: back on January 27th, there were just over 13,000 people hospitalized statewide with Covid. So the prevalence of serious cases has certainly diminished, which is obviously good, but doggone this thing is stubborn. We've lost more Americans to Covid just since the end of this March than we do to the flu in an average year.

Comment

• Friskyfrog
                  Friskyfrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BA5 is a bitch, y’all.

• I'm having minor Covid anxiety again.

That's probably too strong a term. What I'm thinking/feeling is that my motivation to do some things is dwindling in part because I don't want to risk getting sick with a variety of Covid I'm not protected against. I did a lot of traveling and eating out before ba 4 and 5. Now I'm less inclined to do so unless it is really appealing or important. The cost and aggravation of service shortfalls is also a factor.

I'm kind of hoping that the booster I could get and have put off covers omicron well. I like feeling that I've done what I could do and then just have at it.

Comment

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that's the plan re. vaccines.

• Ten KC Royals will not be traveling to play in Toronto because they refuse to get vaccinated.

Comment

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm getting a rebooster (shot #4) tomorrow. But then I'm not an idiot.

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got a Moderna shot this time after 3 Pfitzers. Figured maybe there's an extra different protein antibody or 2 in the Moderna version and it wouldn't hurt to grow some of them in my immune system.

• Nationwide, we've now passed 200k Covid deaths for calendar year 2022.

Comment

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's almost like it doesn't matter any more.

• Family has dodged it up until now, but oldest daughter and her husband both tested positive last Thursday. They started feeling better late yesterday but had no energy. She said it was the sickest she has ever been.

Comment

• Biden tested positive.

Comment

• And now in antivax-land, we have a case of polio in Rockland NY! I guess we really ARE returning to the 50s when America was great!

Comment

• Texas has now passed 90,000 covid deaths.

That makes the Lone Star State #2 in total deaths, behind California (94k & change) - and #29 per capita.

Comment

• NFFrog
                        NFFrog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        32nd percentile is better than one might expect, actually.

• False reports to VAERS

VAERS is like the Wikipedia of data reporting. Anyone can report anything. Many reports are helpful. Some reports are nonsense – to prove the point, one anesthesiologist successfully submitted a VAERS report several years ago that the flu vaccine had turned him into The Incredible Hulk. More recently, a false report of a 2-year-old dying from a COVID-19 vaccine was removed from VAERS because the CDC says it was "completely made up."

Comment

Working...
                      X