No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like another wave is maybe starting to come in what with winter and holidays coming. Shows up in cases and hospitalizations right now--especially in colder areas--but not yet in deaths which of course is a lagging indicator. Wait a couple more weeks for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duquesne Frog View Post

I was stuck in a van taking Scouts to an event this weekend and one of the passengers was a dad claiming that he's had 3 different doctors tell him that invermectin or however you spell it is the way to go.

Pretty sure one of those doctors is Joe Rogan.

It's the power of hidden wisdom. That demographic has been convinced that they are in on a piece of specialized wisdom that the rest of us don't have or won't listen to.

And that is why I really struggle with how to deal with people like that dad in the van. Every logical fallacy that I believe he is making, he believes I am making in kind, but 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I believe Trump and the MAGA crowd were the ones attempting to steal the election. They believe Biden and the Dems stole the election. I believe he is being sold propagandist lies in their news sources, he believes the same is happening to me and my news sources.
      Late last year, my husband and I deep cleaned our living room and reorganized the whole room. Since I’m really allergic to dust (mites), I ended up very sick. Problems breathing, coughing, and etc. so, I go to the drs office, after hours, because they thought I might have covid. I had a fever of 101.5, and they did a flu test and a covid test. The PA told me she thought I had covid, and told me all about ivermectin. So, as a researcher I asked questions—in vitro vs in vivo, and she insisted THIS.WAS.THE.CURE.

well, anyway I did not have the flu, or covid, but rather had dust pneumonia. I was still so shocked that they recommended ivermectin at a physicians office.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Poison Arrow Frog View Post

well, anyway I did not have the flu, or covid, but rather had dust pneumonia. I was still so shocked that they recommended ivermectin at a physicians office.
          I forget what state you're in, but even if it's an idiotic one you really need to file a report on this incident with the medical board. Even if it was some time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by NFFrog View Post

I forget what state you're in, but even if it's an idiotic one you really need to file a report on this incident with the medical board. Even if it was some time ago.
            It’s Michigan. We’re in Ludington—so our vax rate is under 50.

One of Dave’s sisters is anti-vax, and I kind of wonder if they just think I’m a liar or what. I probably shouldn’t take it personally, and Dave hates it when I argue with them—but what the hell am I supposed to say when she tells me she will not allow her daughter to be vaxxed because she doesn’t want her to become infertile. I just looked at her and said,”no, that is not a thing”. So, I just go on Twitter and mock the lab leak glitterati to save my sanity.

I will report that.

Comment

• NFFrog
              NFFrog commented
              Editing a comment
              "We’re in Ludington—so our vax rate is under 50."

So...Are Ludington residents called Luddites? :-)

Want to weep? Province here today and also bearing in mind that shots for kids were only authorized by health authorities in the last couple weeks: 95% first dose, 89% fully vaxxed. There is right now 1 person hospitalized with extreme symptoms and we had 3 new travel-related cases in the last few days in a population of half a million. There was a travel-related outbreak (from Alberta, of course, as vax resistance is higher there--though now the antivaxxers have lately been on the wane) in one of our more rural corners a month ago that hit quite a few. But it seems now to have been dealt with pretty well what with masks, isolation, and contact tracing (which is possible due to lack of general community spread among idiots). Mask use is generally required everywhere indoors but rarely so outdoors. Restaurants/bars still need to have spacing between groups. Schools are open and are now furnishing many of the observed cases this fall, but it hasn't been serious and again contact tracing works when community spread is low.

The horrors of being of the sheeple and having to use a vax passport to enter my gym and go to the theater.

Of interest for a researcher possibly: The province opted to space out doses early in the pan/epidemic to 16 weeks which you probably know has been shown by later research to have been a smart move both in public health terms and in antibody stimulation terms though that 2nd point was not well known at the time the decision was made. Boosters are on the same stretched sched requiring a 6 month wait after 2nd dose.

Oh...and as a side effect I have not heard of a single case of the flu in the past couple of months though there must have been some cases. Free flu shots are available together with COVID vax shots to all. (Just imagine the severity from the assault of TWO vaccines at the same time on female uteri!)
              Last edited by NFFrog; November 23, 2021, 10:17 AM.

• Poison Arrow Frog
              Poison Arrow Frog commented
              Editing a comment
              The flu is H3N2 so the death rate will be approximately 80,000 souls in the US—it’s quite prone to antigen shift.

I do call them Luddites.

It does my heart good that Alberta is doing so well. I like hearing that.

It’s Michigan. We’re in Ludington—so our vax rate is under 50.

One of Dave’s sisters is anti-vax, and I kind of wonder if they just think I’m a liar or what. I probably shouldn’t take it personally, and Dave hates it when I argue with them—but what the hell am I supposed to say when she tells me she will not allow her daughter to be vaxxed because she doesn’t want her to become infertile. I just looked at her and said,”no, that is not a thing”. So, I just go on Twitter and mock the lab leak glitterati to save my sanity.

I will report that.
            The infertility bit is the one the teacher at my daughter's school was obsessed with on Facebook. Then she got COVID and damn near died.

Comment

• NFFrog
              NFFrog commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry that I'm a bad person, but it would have been better if she had given she's in a position to affect many others--and probably still is. Or at the very least permanently unable to teach due to long COVID. Personally, I've simply had it with these idiots. They are absolutely maximizing the harm to others around them.

Read an antivaxxer "doctor's" meeting at a stables (yup...for ivermectin) in Florida has turned into pretty much a superspreader event. I'm glad of that too.
              Last edited by NFFrog; November 23, 2021, 10:59 AM.

• Poison Arrow Frog
              Editing a comment
              NFF—I do read the Herman Cain awards and get a bit of a thrill.

Did you read about them in the Daily Beast—that’s where I read about them.

Late last year, my husband and I deep cleaned our living room and reorganized the whole room. Since I’m really allergic to dust (mites), I ended up very sick. Problems breathing, coughing, and etc. so, I go to the drs office, after hours, because they thought I might have covid. I had a fever of 101.5, and they did a flu test and a covid test. The PA told me she thought I had covid, and told me all about ivermectin. So, as a researcher I asked questions—in vitro vs in vivo, and she insisted THIS.WAS.THE.CURE.

Somebody needs to lose her license. She must have gone to Joe Rogan Medical School,

Comment

• I did read an article recently about a new study that shows some limited albeit indirect effect of ivermectin on COVID. Parasitic infection can lower immunity so if someone has parasites, treating for parasites may then help increase immunity and ability to fight COVID. Effects were stronger of course in areas where parasitic infections were high and even then the effect was not very strong. But the effect was on parasites, not directly on COVID. The author of the article used this to demonstrate how everyone who categorically dismissed ivermectin was wrong. But you have to have parasites for any effect.

Comment

• NFFrog
                NFFrog commented
                Editing a comment
                Moderator variables are not causal as you well know to my personal knowledge! We learned it together, after all.

Buddy could make the same argument for any treatment for any condition at all which depresses the immune system. They likely cannot all be COVID treatments. Treating co-morbidities is correct medical practice, of course. Arguing that treating one morbidity is a _treatment_ for a different morbidity--which is the argument being made by most--is not correct medical practice. Treating stress, for example, is simply not treating COVID though there might well be a measurable effect given a large enough n.

In some respects this reminds me of the old Simonton work on imagery and terminal cancer which I consulted on for a short while in FW.
                Last edited by NFFrog; November 23, 2021, 11:45 AM.

• Poison Arrow Frog
                Editing a comment
                Yes. I read this, too. Plus, I heard about it on the TWIV podcast. (This week in virology)

• I may have a breakthrough covid case. I’m thrice vaccinated. Thanksgiving day—I felt blah, and not hungry, even though I had no breakfast and lunch. Had 2 glasses of wine—the wine was good but now I wonder if it really was. No one else liked it at all. Dinner—we sit down to eat. I fill my plate full of all my favorites, and everything tasted like it was drowned in salt. It tasted horrible. And I worked really hard on a special Brussel sprouts recipe. I could only eat a few bites, and I left the table. Everyone else said the food was great—not over salted at all. Went to bed. Could not sleep at all, could not get comfortable. 102.4 degree temp at 2:30 am when I finally gave up on sleep.

since the antivaxxers came to dinner, I need get find a test.

Comment

• NFFrog
                NFFrog commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope all's well as can be.

Added: I see this morning Michigan is having it's biggest wave to date in cases. Take care there, girl.
                Last edited by NFFrog; November 26, 2021, 07:32 AM.

• Boston Frog
                Boston Frog commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope you're OK, PAF. Hopefully if you do have it, it won't be too severe because you've been vaxxed.

• Fever is gone. I’m tired, but I think I’m fine. Dave went through this about a week ago. He’s fine now.

Comment

• Watch out nu is coming! There aren’t that many cases, but I’ve heard it is outpacing delta. The vax might not help with this one. @peacockflu if you want to read about it.

Comment

• NFFrog
                  NFFrog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is that the one that seems to have picked up some immune system hiding genes from or like HIV genes?

• Poison Arrow Frog
                  Editing a comment
                  I got stuck on the HIV genes, which I hadn't heard of, so at first I didn't pay attention to the hidden genes part. Yeah, it looks like it can hide pretty well from our immune system tools. It could be a vaccine buster. The thing we aren't seeing a lot of is severe illness, though, but that follows after several weeks.
                  Last edited by Poison Arrow Frog; November 28, 2021, 09:00 AM.

• Holy cow, now I gotta worry about this new strain of covid, Chevron, techron whatever?

I need an additive to my booster.

Comment

• Poison Arrow Frog
                  Editing a comment
                  It's Omicron. They skipping nu (which is what I thought it'd be named) and xi for some odd reason.

• IFYKYK
                Click image for larger version

Name:	unicron-transformers.gif
Views:	35
Size:	688.7 KB
ID:	17893
                f baylor
                Never trust an American who worships the monarchy.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	coronavirus-variant-tracker-promo-1612823533731-threeByTwoMediumAt2X-v6.png?format=pjpg&quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale.png Views:	1 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	17911Didn't we see a float of this at the Rose Parade?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• 800,000 Americans dead.

The way people keep opting into dying from this thing, it feels inevitable that we'll hit 1 million.

Comment

• MercenaryLibrarian
                      MercenaryLibrarian commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Had the same thought about an hour ago. Walking around Walmart and seeing very few masks. At the Parks Mall last night, I think we saw maybe 5 other people with masks.

• NFFrog
                      NFFrog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Been saying that with lots of hard work this was attainable for some time now.

Sadly, the work is being done.
                  Working...
                  X