No announcement yet.

Our well regulated militias 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to figure out when it was that "personal freedom" completely curb-stomped and eviscerated "personal responsibility" and "community safety"?

Yeah, yeah I know the whole Ben Franklin quote about liberty and safety that they throw around, but they have the meaning and context of the quote completely wrong and it doesn't apply. Fact is, you cannot have a successful society without a reasonable and logical balance of freedom and safety. Freedom isn't anarchy. Safety is not fascism.

Comment

• weklfrog
      weklfrog commented
      Editing a comment
      With due respect to Ben, I always thought he was wrong. Without security, there is no liberty. If everyone is free to do whatever they want, nobody is free to do whatever they want.

• Friskyfrog
      Friskyfrog commented
      Editing a comment
      And I just cannot reconcile the “personal freedom is everything” people being the same people determined to force childbirth on others. “Personal Liberty” would dictate that if you are against abortion then should not get one and no one should force you to. You don’t get to make the choice for someone else because they, too, have personal liberty.

• Listening to an episode of Radiolab that is talking about this Supreme Court case that is, frankly, pretty jaw-dropping and another massive chink in the in the "good guy with a gun" myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_o...ck_v._Gonzales

For the tl;dr folks, a woman had a restraining order on her ex-husband who was stalking them and was abusive to her and their kids. The guy took the kids, in violation of the restraining order. The woman called the police numerous times went physically to the station twice and and the police didn't do anything because the guy had been given occasional visitation rights with the kids. The guy drives to the police station about 10 hours after her first call to the police and gets in a "suicide-by-cop" shootout with them, after which they discover that the kids were in the car, dead, having already been killed by the guy.

So she sued the police for not acting and the case went to the Supreme Court where they ruled that the police basically had no obligation to enforce the restraining order.

So if the police have no obligation to enforce a legal decree of the state, they certainly have no obligation to take out an active shooter ...

Comment

• Duquesne Frog
      Duquesne Frog commented
      Editing a comment
      Certainly seems to indicate that restraining orders aren't worth the paper they are written on ...

• pcf
      pcf commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder what the courts are for.

• NFFrog
      NFFrog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yet another "the police knew he was armed" case. Don't expect them to do much about those sorts on a go forward basis is my prediction. Guns in the hands of nonpolice are dangerous, after all...to police.

• thread…

f baylor
    Never trust an American who worships the monarchy.

Comment

• Boston Frog
      Boston Frog commented
      Editing a comment
      "If there's kids in there ... " It's a fucking school on a school day, dipshit.

The cops had shields and weapons and were scared to go in. The kids their desks and school supplies.

The right wing wants to shut down public schools and privatize everything so we can go back to segregation.

• weklfrog
      weklfrog commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, the private religious schools can now get government money.

• So the text only matters to textualists in the case of texts they like.

Comment

• MercenaryLibrarian
      MercenaryLibrarian commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. We are strict constructionists until it doesn't say what we want it to say in which case we're going to reinterpret it. Much like how they use the Bible.

• So, the Supreme Court basically struck down gun laws like the one we have in Mass that requires that applicants for a concealed carry permit show a justifiable need to have a permit. Pretty much anybody will be able to get a permit now. That means more guns in the hands of more people in public. I sure hope there will be a lot of good guys ready to take down those bad guys!

Comment

• MercenaryLibrarian
      MercenaryLibrarian commented
      Editing a comment
      The really sad thing is, it's really feeling like those of us that don't really want a gun around should probably start stocking up because we're on a path to war and one side definitely has more guns than the other.

• weklfrog
      weklfrog commented
      Editing a comment
      In Texas you don't need a permit, license, safety training or background check to carry concealed or holstered guns in most public places. That's why we don't have such travesties as mass shootings here.
Working...
X