The Scrooge thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scrooge thread

Christmas complaint list #1. Mariah Carey. This lady has been milking Christmas to the max for years. I saw a clip from her Christmas show and she was immobilized on the stage while singing. I think to keep her best side showing and because she couldn't move in her gown, she was sort of in the equivalent of an iron lung.

She needs to get free from the burden of perfection. She is a prisoner of perfect in her career, at least. Bah humbug.

Is this the customary annual airing of grievances?

Comment

Originally posted by Duquesne Frog View Post
      Is this the customary annual airing of grievances?
      Honestly, I never really stop.

Comment

To all of my neighbors, I don’t mean to be a Grinch, however.... to those of you who are placing Christmas lights/decorations in your yards, would you please avoid anything that has Red or Blue flashing lights together!! Every time I come around the corner, I think it's the police. I have to brake hard, toss my margarita out the window, fasten my seat belt, throw my phone on the floor, turn my radio down, and push the gun under the seat. All while trying to drive. It's just too much drama, even for Christmas. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by weklfrog View Post
          To all of my neighbors, I don’t mean to be a Grinch, however.... to those of you who are placing Christmas lights/decorations in your yards, would you please avoid anything that has Red or Blue flashing lights together!! Every time I come around the corner, I think it's the police. I have to brake hard, toss my margarita out the window, fasten my seat belt, throw my phone on the floor, turn my radio down, and push the gun under the seat. All while trying to drive. It's just too much drama, even for Christmas. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding.
          What do you do with the prostitute? Or is she already dead?

Comment

• weklfrog
            weklfrog commented
            Editing a comment
            Just keep my fingers crossed they don't hear the banging coming from the trunk.

• frogtwang
            frogtwang commented
            Editing a comment
            Banging in the trunk isn’t comfortable.

• RSK
            RSK commented
            Editing a comment
            And how many?

So, super busy SIL decreed ten days ago that Christmas would be held today. My sister and her misfit husband were coming for Christmas dinner on the 25th at lunchtime. I’m making handmade gifts—and don’t believe the tropes that handmade gifts are cheaper than store bought, they aren’t. If fact, they are at least three times more expensive. So, I had to push the schedule up a week. I am a Goddess of Procrastination and I’m still owing folks gifts from 5 years ago that I said I’d make AND people keep mocking me for this.

4 days ago, antivax SIL tells me her husband tested positive for Covid. But he’s feeling fine, just a slight cough, and a fever of 102. So, I said fine, if you guys test covidfree before you come over on the 19th, then that’s fine and they’re welcome to join us. Flash forward to Friday, now Lisa is testing positive and wants to cancel. Except, she wanted us to cancel everybody and get together when we all can get together. Not gonna happen, so she’s pissed at us AND SHE AND HER FAMILY CHOSE NOT TO VAX AND NOW WE SHOULD CANCEL BECAUSE SHE CANNOT BE THERE.

3 days ago, my sister phones to cancel Christmas luncheon because they both have Covid and are pretty sick. Steve was forced to get vaxxed or lose his job, and he chose the J&J one. My sister gets anaphylaxis so she can’t take the Covid vax and she has an auto-immune disease (CLL). Joy’s husband Steve is an asshole. The whole Trump won, mark of the best, man is the boss of the family shitbag. So, when he HAD to get vaxxed, he chose the J&J one. He’s morbidly obese, so he got Covid anyway from a friend at work (the friend died yesterday), and they gave him antibodies. Joy can’t get antibodies till Monday, but to be fair Steve is very, very sick (not hospitalized).

im scared i’ll lose my sister…
          Last edited by Poison Arrow Frog; December 19, 2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• NFFrog
            NFFrog commented
            Editing a comment
            So sorry to hear all this, PAF.

I must be some sort of different animal. I simply cannot understand the minds of those who have pushed these narratives for their own personal money and power. If there is a God, I really hope He comes down with a vengeance at the Gates, at least, if no time else. But there is one fact that is clear: They simply don't care about the actual suffering among you/yours and millions of others they have caused. What do I mean "don't care"? In point of fact they rejoice in what money and/or power it's brought them. Purer demonstrations of evil and the effects of evil on wider society are hard to find.

Again, so sorry how all this has unfolded for you.
            Last edited by NFFrog; December 19, 2021, 10:08 AM.

• Poison Arrow Frog
            Poison Arrow Frog commented
            Editing a comment
            I want lots of thoughts and prayers for them…

Thank you very much, NFF.

This is all a lot for me.
            Last edited by Poison Arrow Frog; December 19, 2021, 08:40 AM.

The local archdiocese has been fighting providing compensation to orphans abused at the local (long razed now as a result of all this) Church-run orphanage since the case first broke in the 70s and was first finally taken to court in 1989 after the Church exhausted every possible political option they had available to evade responsibility or even allow an investigation (the Church was very politically connected at the time and included in the Constitution until as a result of all this the Constitution was rewritten to get all churches out of education here). While a large number of the victims are now dead, at least 90 are still around. I worked with a few over the years--it was pretty horrible and whenever the kids would run away, the local police would bring them right back for more. It's just plain impossible for me to imagine what that would do in the mind of an orphan with no where to go, but I cannot imagine it did anything good.

Anyway it's been appealed up and down and around and up again and again finally reaching the Supremes (of Canada) last year where the last, final appeal was rejected (I wonder? What does 30+ years of high level litigation in a major class action suit cost?). Additionally, the Church was caught trying to transfer Christian Brother assets out of Canada to say there were no assets left to pay any settlements. That was caught, but subsequent cases established the archdiocese as a responsible party too. So that attempt to evade failed.

Anyway after all the pain for the kids and the massive legal bills spent fighting, the archdiocese is out of options and have declared bankruptcy in order to "reorganize" finances to pay the settlements, likely some portion or all of the defendant's legal fees, plus decades of interest. (Though they'll still likely try to use bankruptcy to escape some part of the settlement, of course.) Not sure playing Scrooge all these decades saved all that much money. Pretty sure a settlement could have been worked out in the 70s or 80s which would have been far cheaper. But I guess it was the principle of the thing...though I have failed to see any evidence of any principles in their positions on the matter over the years. This was about the first such case in North America to break and it was all the way back in the 70s and they are still trying to evade responsibility to this day however they can.

Maybe we're getting Christ back into Christmas after all.

There's a rather horrifying docudrama the National Film Board did--The Boys of St. Vincent's--that is all too close to what I've heard from some of the guys who were there. One of the worst offenders was played by an actor I know well. Still see him in that part whenever I happen to run across him--played evil with absolute precision. Kinda' hate him each time I see him until I remember he was being a consummate pro.
          Last edited by NFFrog; December 20, 2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

So on Xmas Eve, Mrs. Duq got a notification that someone bought four $60 shirts using her account on Etsy. Spent the morning trying to cancel the orders and called the bank to cancel the card. Thing I don't get is that the orders were still supposed to be shipped to our house. So is the hacker the seller? Which is nice, if that's the case because Etsy's only real purchase contestation process is to contact the seller.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Comment

• MercenaryLibrarian
              MercenaryLibrarian commented
              Editing a comment
              The hacker is inside the house!

We get to drive almost 3 hours each way tomorrow to go do “family” Christmas. We met with my wife’s immediate family on Wednesday. Now those people plus her aunt and cousins and their kids will be at the one tomorrow. 3/5 of us (3/3 or the males) are good not being the car for 6 hours.

Comment

Have any of you ever heard the Bible through the lens of health and veganism? If not, you should have been with me after lunch today?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAFrog View Post
                Have any of you ever heard the Bible through the lens of health and veganism? If not, you should have been with me after lunch today?
                Sounds like communism to me. Be vigilant

Comment

Originally posted by SFAFrog View Post
                  That sounds like a nightmare. All of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X