Welcome Coach Sonny Dykes

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Christmas

    What are your plans? What special traditions do you enjoy, or conversely can live without?

  • #2
    I am an only child, but my wife is the oldest of three. The youngest sister had her first baby right in the thick of the COVID lockdown. We drove down and visited her in Austin this past summer, but they are planning to fly up and spend Xmas at our house. The middle sister who has two elementary school aged daughters will also be coming in from Jersey. So this will be the first time all of the cousins will be together in the same place at the same time.

    My wife is a nervous wreck that a breakthrough COVID case will ruin the whole thing. The baby will be the only person unvaccinated (and I think all the adults will be boostered at that point too). The news that the PA supreme court is probably going to reject the governor's mask mandate in schools wasn't well received ...

    Comment


    • #3
      I have to go to my in-laws on Christmas Day (to Longview this year since my BIL wants to host the three generation mess) because they’re the most inflexible people ever.

      We do our house stuff on Christmas Eve. We go to worship and do presents afterwards.

      I was supposed to see my sister and nephews on 12/26, but my ex-BIL scheduled a trip without talking to my sister. Then he told her about it and she told me about it. Instead of working it out, she decided we just wouldn’t get together at all and isn’t speaking to me since I pointed out that my ex-BIL continues to pull crap like this because she lets him get away with it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SFAFrog View Post
        I have to go to my in-laws on Christmas Day (to Longview this year since my BIL wants to host the three generation mess) because they’re the most inflexible people ever.

        We do our house stuff on Christmas Eve. We go to worship and do presents afterwards.

        I was supposed to see my sister and nephews on 12/26, but my ex-BIL scheduled a trip without talking to my sister. Then he told her about it and she told me about it. Instead of working it out, she decided we just wouldn’t get together at all and isn’t speaking to me since I pointed out that my ex-BIL continues to pull crap like this because she lets him get away with it.
        A family holiday with drama, who would have thunk it?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Duquesne Frog View Post
          I am an only child, but my wife is the oldest of three. The youngest sister had her first baby right in the thick of the COVID lockdown. We drove down and visited her in Austin this past summer, but they are planning to fly up and spend Xmas at our house. The middle sister who has two elementary school aged daughters will also be coming in from Jersey. So this will be the first time all of the cousins will be together in the same place at the same time.

          My wife is a nervous wreck that a breakthrough COVID case will ruin the whole thing. The baby will be the only person unvaccinated (and I think all the adults will be boostered at that point too). The news that the PA supreme court is probably going to reject the governor's mask mandate in schools wasn't well received ...
          How are your kids doing with all this?

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, my daughter will be in England, my advanced care medic son is working 24th-26th inclusive on 12hr shifts, and my money-pitting house may or may not be fully pitted and done by the 24th (did get 2nd to last window in today and siding is nearing completion).

            I think I will get some bottles of rum and watch rom-coms, sci-fi movies, and football. Or find something even more mindless to do.

            Or, I suppose I could volunteer somewhere and be of value to society. Maybe I should.
            Last edited by NFFrog; November 24, 2021, 01:02 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Pretty much the same as every year. I will pick daughter-the-older (Leslie) up on either the evening of the 22nd or morning of the 23rd. The 23rd is generally shopping at Central Market and starting to cook and bake. On the 24th, I get up ready to cook all day. First thing is turning the stereo up loud and putting on Handel's Messiah, then really cranking it up for the chorus. Daughter-the-younger, s-i-l, and grandson the older (8yo) will likely come over for Christmas eve seafood gumbo and snacks and spend the night. Christmas morning is opening Christmas stockings then a breakfast of zwiebach (home-baked cinnamon bread with a 2-1 mixture of sugar and sweetened condensed milk poured on it than baked) dunked in hot chocolate. Then opening gifts, having a mid-day snack meal that has grown over the years to a full-scale production with cheeses, olives, dips, humus, cold-boiled shrimp, clear the table and clean up, finish the rest of the food for dinner then sit down and eat the main meal (prime rib, a spicy cheese pudding, twice baked potatoes, a cream cheese/jello/whipped cream salad, green beans with pearl onions & ham hock and rolls). Desert for when we can eat more is schaum torte which has a meringue base, a rich chocolate sauce middle topped with whipped cream. Only myself, d-t-y and s-i-l eat it but I generally have to make two so when I am forced to send leftovers, I have a whole one to myself for the next several days. S-i-l trolls d-t-y every year by proclaiming that I gave him the recipe so he can make it whenever he wants (we only have it on Christmas except the year my daughter was pregnant and couldn't have any because the chocolate sauce has raw eggs and is not cooked). One of the best parts of Christmas is eating leftovers for the next several days. Day after Christmas is Leslie's birthday so we go out to eat while all of those delicious leftovers are sitting at home. Leslie will typically be at our house until the day after her birthday. Don't have to go back to work until Jan 5 this year.
              Last edited by weklfrog; November 24, 2021, 01:09 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like watching TV shows where the people are having good Christmases on Christmas. Vicarious Christmas is great. Not too much work.

                Just reading about wekl's Christmas was great.

                I do not like the car ads at Christmas. The cars with the bows or the ones where they buy two cars at Christmas. Are there really people who aspire to huge bows on cars? Last year there was one where the lady got a new car from the guy and the guy got to live one more year based on the look on the lady's face I know there's true psychology at work in these ads. Maybe this was focused on guys with angry wives. Placate her with a car!

                I just wish people were happy with hard candy or oranges for Christmas. All this consumerism ruins happiness rather than adding to it.

                I am pro eggnog and ripoff Bailey's Irish cream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	rhrlj-1.png?w=584.png
Views:	26
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	17736
                  f baylor
                  Never trust an American who worships the monarchy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't know. First Christmas in the new house living with the GF. My ex is taking the boy to Disneyworld so I won't see him until after Christmas. Guess we'll have the GF's kids home from college and some of her family. Other than my sister, I don't have much interest in seeing mine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wife is working Christmas Day. 3 to 11. Just her turn.
                      Yeah....I dont believe it either....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We’re doing our family Christmas on the 19th, will head down to New Braunfels and spend the day at my brother’s house.

                        I volunteered to work Christmas Day so that a coworker could spend the holiday with her family.
                        f baylor
                        Never trust an American who worships the monarchy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by frogtwang View Post
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	rhrlj-1.png?w=584.png
Views:	26
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	17736
                          True dat.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Last year, due to COVID, was the first time we ever had Christmas at our house. Our entire lives we have spent much of Christmas on the road alternating each year between my parents and his parents as to who actually gets us on Christmas Eve & Day. Last year we discovered that we really enjoyed having it at our house with our two kids. Like we have finally grown up. So this year we are visiting both families the week before Christmas (my school break is really frontloaded this year) and then returning on the 23rd to do Christmas and New Years in Kentucky as a family in the new house. Started decorating today. I’ve never been too big on Christmas decorations because clutter increases my anxiety, but we got some simple things that I’m enjoying.

                            Comment


                            • SFAFrog
                              SFAFrog commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That sounds glorious and what I wish we could do instead of driving 3 hours each way on Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day.

                          • #15
                            Originally posted by NFFrog View Post
                            Well, my daughter will be in England, my advanced care medic son is working 24th-26th inclusive on 12hr shifts, and my money-pitting house may or may not be fully pitted and done by the 24th (did get 2nd to last window in today and siding is nearing completion).

                            I think I will get some bottles of rum and watch rom-coms, sci-fi movies, and football. Or find something even more mindless to do.

                            Or, I suppose I could volunteer somewhere and be of value to society. Maybe I should.
                            You'll be by yourself? Bro, come down to Chelmsford. You can stay in the attic. It's nice up there, completely finished. The boys use it as a playroom.

                            Comment


                            • NFFrog
                              NFFrog commented
                              Editing a comment
                              HOW could I EVER take a child's play space away?!

                            • Duquesne Frog
                              Duquesne Frog commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Careful NFF ... seems a little seedy that Boston is trying to lure you into his attic ...

                            • Boston Frog
                              Boston Frog commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It doubles as a guest bedroom!
                          Working...
                          X