GO FROGS!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinds my Gears

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Zebra Frog View Post
    A pack of bicycle riders blocking a lane at night. I had a strong urge to slow down, pull up “Leader of the Pack” song on my phone, play it through my car speakers, roll down the windows, and play it for them, hoping I would get caught at the red light stopped right next to the lead riders. But it’s Texas and I feel certain one of them would be packing and not find my little stunt humerous.
    As a frequent runner, I'm about to go all Karen on e-bike riders one of these days. If you are on a motorized transport, you should not be on a pedestrian trail. Get your ass on a road. I don't care if you're being environmentally friendly. I appreciate that. But I don't need your ass blowing by me going 30 miles an hour. Especially without some "on your left" etiquette.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Duquesne Frog View Post

      As a frequent runner, I'm about to go all Karen on e-bike riders one of these days. If you are on a motorized transport, you should not be on a pedestrian trail. Get your ass on a road. I don't care if you're being environmentally friendly. I appreciate that. But I don't need your ass blowing by me going 30 miles an hour. Especially without some "on your left" etiquette.
      What about cyclists on the sidewalk? I don't cycle on streets anymore, but when I did I usually stayed on the sidewalk. The Boston area is one of the most dangerous in the US for cyclists. Riding a bike on the road here is a death wish. (I know a guy who literally saw a cyclist killed by a car.)

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Boston Frog View Post

        What about cyclists on the sidewalk? I don't cycle on streets anymore, but when I did I usually stayed on the sidewalk. The Boston area is one of the most dangerous in the US for cyclists. Riding a bike on the road here is a death wish. (I know a guy who literally saw a cyclist killed by a car.)
        Im generally okay with human powered bikes sharing pedestrian trails, although the serious bikers will blow by at dangerous speeds too. I just think bikers should be aware that sometimes the do all the shit to runners that they complain that drivers do with them. Of course when a biker and pedestrian hit, generally no one dies.

        A while back I was running and coming toward me was a runner followed up by a biker. Without warning, just as the bike was about to pass him, the runner did a hairpin 180 to go the other direction and the biker creamed him. Now that was mostly on the runner, I'll always slow down,, move to the side, and then look back to see if I can turn. He didn't do that. And fortunately the girl on the bike wasn't going super fast. But still they were both lucky someone didn't get seriously hurt.

        Bikers should give as wide a berth to runners as they pass as they want cars to give to them. And if you can't give that wide a berth, slow the eff down. The two seconds you lose on your time won't kill you..

        Boy my gears are ground....

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Duquesne Frog View Post

          Im generally okay with human powered bikes sharing pedestrian trails, although the serious bikers will blow by at dangerous speeds too. I just think bikers should be aware that sometimes the do all the shit to runners that they complain that drivers do with them. Of course when a biker and pedestrian hit, generally no one dies.

          A while back I was running and coming toward me was a runner followed up by a biker. Without warning, just as the bike was about to pass him, the runner did a hairpin 180 to go the other direction and the biker creamed him. Now that was mostly on the runner, I'll always slow down,, move to the side, and then look back to see if I can turn. He didn't do that. And fortunately the girl on the bike wasn't going super fast. But still they were both lucky someone didn't get seriously hurt.

          Bikers should give as wide a berth to runners as they pass as they want cars to give to them. And if you can't give that wide a berth, slow the eff down. The two seconds you lose on your time won't kill you..

          Boy my gears are ground....
          Well, dangerous speed on a bike was never a problem for me. When I used to ride around Newton and Waltham, there weren't many people on the sidewalks. They're car-oriented suburbs. I also don't like bikers riding on pedestrian trails if they're supposed to be trails for pedestrians. Most of the trails near me are mixed use, so if I'm walking on one I have to look for cyclists. I generally find cyclists super obnoxious, to be honest. And sanctimonious. I used to ride for fun. I was never smug about it.

          Comment


          • #35
            And bikers coming up behind walkers/runners should use a bell to warn of their approach as well as saying "on your left" or "on your right" so that the runner/walker does not step to the side the biker is approaching. If a biker is getting ready to pass from behind, it is the biker's responsibility to do so safely.

            Comment


            • Friskyfrog
              Friskyfrog commented
              Editing a comment
              True, but be aware that not every pedestrian can hear you. Some can’t hear at all, and many others will have EarPods in. I have Bluetooth-enabled hearing aids, so you probably can’t see that I have anything in my ear, but I’m actually jamming out to Pink or Gaga.

            • Poison Arrow Frog
              Poison Arrow Frog commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what “on your left” means? I think I always just heard the “left” part, and naturally moved to the left. I bet I’m pinned to the wall on some serious bike blogs as an obnoxious bitch queen.

          • #36
            I am so blessed to share the news that my satellite radio was working this morning! Thank you, prayer warriors!

            Comment


            • NFFrog
              NFFrog commented
              Editing a comment
              When I had satellite radio, any time I was on a longish drive I'd turn to the stations with old radio theatre. Just luv those serials while on a long drive! Batman, The Shadow, Gunsmoke, Annie, The Kettles (+ spinoffs), X Minus 1 (sci-fi, often Bradbury), etc., etc., etc. Really was a wonderful art form. ...and usually complete with soap product placements right in the dialog, too!
              Last edited by NFFrog; December 08, 2021, 06:52 AM.

          • #37
            I need an alternate assignment for your student. They can't do what we're doing...

            No shit...I don't teach your class or subject. You differentiate. I teach ELAR and language acquisition skills to them.

            Comment

            Working...
            X