The Coaching Search Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coaching Search Thread

I'm still processing last night's news, and don't feel like I can really articulate everything I feel about it - but I do think it's worth separating discussion about GP & his legacy from discussion about what happens going forward with finding his successor.

The early list of names I've heard include:

-Sonny Dykes at SMU
    -Jeff Traylor at UTSA
    -Billy Napier at Louisiana-Lafayette
    -Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina
    -Jay Norvell at Nevada
    -Mike Elko, DC at A&M
    -Dan Lanning, DC at Georgia

....-Chris Petersen, formerly at Washington & Boise State

Sonny Dykes - a safe hire
    Jeff Traylor - would have been a good hire
    Billy Napier - saw a lot of him the past few years and not sold on him. Might be LSU's new coach
    Jamey Chadwell - NO
    Jay Norvell - who?
    Mike Elko - could be good here
    Dan Lanning - no opinion
    Chris Peterson - won't take it I don't think

Comment

Traylor just signed a 10-year extension at UTSA worth $2.8 million a year, with a $7.5 million buyout.

I see that as less of a long term commitment to stay there as much as a way of making sure the program he's built up can monetize his potential departure.

Comment

Baylor OC Jeff Grimes

Comment

Originally posted by Vlade Divac View Post
          Baylor OC Jeff Grimes
          DCTF also listed Baylor assistant Joey McGuire (who won 3 state titles at Cedar Hill as a high school coach) as a potential candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Lanley III View Post

DCTF also listed Baylor assistant Joey McGuire (who won 3 state titles at Cedar Hill as a high school coach) as a potential candidate.
            Cedar Hill AND Baylor? I can't let that happen.

Comment

Wouldn’t mind Bill Bedenbaugh, the OC from OU as an option. O-line driven and been at OU under both Stoops & Riley.

Comment

• NFFrog
                NFFrog commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome.

Do we have yet another band alum?

Originally posted by musicfrog View Post
              Wouldn’t mind Bill Bedenbaugh, the OC from OU as an option. O-line driven and been at OU under both Stoops & Riley.
              Welcome to our refugee camp

Comment

Hah. Been around for awhile, just, rarely, rarely comment and seems my original account was gone.

Comment

Donati says head coaching experience is required, seemingly eliminating any coordinators ...

Comment

He also clearly indicates he wants an offensive head coach.

Comment

• weklfrog
                      weklfrog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Briles is an offensive offensive coach....offensive being the key word.

• NFFrog
                      NFFrog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      re. wekl...[like]

How appealing is the TCU job right now?

Max Olson, senior writer, The Athletic: Donati suggested Tuesday that this opening should be right behind LSU and USC in terms of its appeal, and he’s not wrong about that. This program has done as good of a job as any at investing in football and facilities over the past decade.

Since joining the Big 12, TCU has proven it can recruit at a top 25-30 level nationally. Once Oklahoma and Texas are gone, there’s a reasonable case to be made that this can be the best job in the new Big 12. But the Horned Frogs need the right head coach to maximize that potential.
                    Yeah....I dont believe it either....

Comment

I'm starting to really think Dykes is a done deal. If GP got wind they were talking behind his back, it would explain a lot about how things have gone down.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlade Divac View Post
                        I'm starting to really think Dykes is a done deal. If GP got wind they were talking behind his back, it would explain a lot about how things have gone down.
                        Please no

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Frog View Post

Please no
                          I know he failed at Cal, but that couldn't have been a worse fit. I see him doing well in Fort Worth and his time at Cal should keep him planted here (unless Texas or A&M come calling, and if we have that problem, I will not be mad).

Comment

• Lyle Lanley III
                            Lyle Lanley III commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah, Berkeley is a different scene - especially for a guy from West Texas. He's done a phenomenal job at SMU, and moving across the Metroplex would just give him more resources, higher visibility, better facilities, etc.
                        Working...
                        X