2022 TCU Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 TCU Baseball

Hey y'all - the baseball team has a scrimmage on Friday against the Rangers' instructional league team. You might remember they played them at the Ballpark a few years ago, but this one is at Lupton. 6pm, admission is free.

They'll also be collecting footwear and other donations for Blessed Feet, the non-profit organization founded by current Frog Luke Savage to provide athletic footwear and other equipment to kids in need.

I saw Tech just beat the Rangers IL like 14-11

Comment

• Lyle Lanley III
      Lyle Lanley III commented
      Editing a comment
      I think they were also slated to face Baylor & DBU...and maybe one other college team? UTA?

• RSK
      RSK commented
      Editing a comment
      Saw part of it - it was on ESPN+

Purple-White World Series:
    • Game 1: Thursday, 3pm
    • Game 2: Friday, 4:30pm
    • Game 3: Tuesday, 3pm
    All games open to the public, and free to attend.

Comment

Hoping to make it out to Lupton for at least part of today's scrimmage. Will post my observations here later, if so.

Saarloos was the guest on Fort Worth Inc's FORTitude podcast this week. You can listen/watch HERE. It's a bit awkward at times because it was obviously recorded before everything went down with GP, but it does shed some good light on the story of Kirk's journey to the big leagues and how he ended up at TCU. He also casually mentions, without naming the pitcher, that we have someone on the roster currently that throws a knuckleball!

Elsewhere, the Big 12 released the conference schedule - which means the full schedule will likely be published soon.

The Frogs' conference slate is as follows:
      • March 8-10: at Baylor
      • March 25-27: vs. Kansas State
      • April 1-3: vs. West Virginia
      • April 8-10: at Texas
      • April 15-17: vs. Texas Tech (this is Easter weekend, so this serious could end up being Thursday through Saturday)
      • April 22-24: at Oklahoma State
      • May 6-8: vs. Oklahoma
      • May 13-15: at Kansas
      • May 25-29: Big 12 Tournament at Globe Life Field in Arlington

Comment

Got out to part of yesterday's scrimmage. Beautiful afternoon at Lupton with a pretty decent-sized crowd. I didn't have a roster so I wasn't able to identify everyone by their jersey number, plus my son was talking my ear off about Minecraft most of the time. But here's what I saw:

-Riley Cornelio was regularly hitting 96 on the gun with his fastball, but he struggled mightily with control. Way, way too many walks.

-Cam Brown was also throwing heat, but also struggling with control on his fastball. His off-speed stuff was really effective, though. He also made a fantastic play off the mound to get a batter out at first after a check-swing dribbler.

-Brayden Taylor was playing SS for the purple team. My guess is that he's still playing 3B this season, but that he may shift over to SS for 2023 after Sacco graduates.

-Elijah Nunez got a rally going for the white team one inning by laying down an absolutely perfect lead-off bunt.

-Brody Green, the freshman infielder from Owasso, OK (same hometown as Sam Thompson), made a sensational play at 3B playing for the purple team: dove to snare a sharply-hit grounder down the line, got up to fire to second and start a 5-4-3 double play. At bat the next inning, he smashed a ball to the gap for a two-run double.

-David Bishop, the freshman infielder from Marietta, GA, also flashed some fancy leather playing for the white team at 3B.

-Playing 1B were JUCO transfer Reed Spenrath for the white team and freshman Owen Blackledge (son of Todd) out of Canton, OH for the purple team.

-I wasn't there to see it, but apparently Mason Speaker, the sophomore catcher from All Saints, went deep.

-There was a much more competitive feeling to this scrimmage than others I've attended in the past.
        Last edited by Lyle Lanley III; November 06, 2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Lanley III View Post

-I wasn't there to see it, but apparently Mason Speaker, the sophomore catcher from All Saints, went deep.
          Related to HoF Red Sox great Tris Speaker?

Comment

• Lyle Lanley III
            Editing a comment
            Speaker grew up in North Central Texas, so I had wondered that very thing about Mason and his twin brother, Jacob, who is a pitcher on the team.

A few more pieces of the schedule puzzle:

-Opening the season against San Diego State at the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale. UH and Cal look like they'll be other opponents that weekend.
          -A late season, non-conference weekend series @ Florida State, April 29 - May 1
          -Midweek games against Dallas Baptist on Tues, April 12th (in Dallas) and Tuesday, April 26th (at Lupton)

Comment

The full schedule is out!

Among the highlights not previously known:

-A three game weekend series against Nebraska at Globe Life Field (that's the new one) in late February
            -A four-game road trip to the Bluegrass State in early March, with a three-game weekend set against UK in Lexington and then a Tuesday game at Louisville
            -Additional non-conference home weekend series' against Army (in mid-March) and Santa Clara (in May, just before the conference tournament)

Comment

• RSK
              RSK commented
              Editing a comment
              People are sure to bitch about the Nebraska series, just as they do about football games at the DeathStar.

60 days until first pitch.

Collegiate Baseball put out their preseason Top 50 poll today. The Frogs come in at #13.

Teams on TCU's schedule:

#1 Texas
            #4 Tech
            #8 Oklahoma State
            #12 Florida State
            #26 Louisville
            #31 Nebraska
            #32 Dallas Baptist
            #45 Oklahoma

Also receiving votes: Baylor, California, Abilene Christian, Kentucky, San Diego State, A&M-Corpus, UT-Arlington

Comment

44 days 'til first pitch.

According to an instagram post on the program's official account, the team posted a collective 3.29 GPA this fall - the best academic semester since 2000, with 21 players posting a 3.5 or better and 6 with a perfect 4.0.

With the new semester starting on Monday, we ought to see what kind of roster attrition occurred after the conclusion of fall ball. Rumors out there that Thomas DiLandri, the outfielder from Las Vegas that we felt very fortunate to retain through last summer's draft process, may be enrolling at San Jacinto JC for the spring.

Comment

39 days 'til first pitch.

With the new semester starting today, the official roster has been updated several times already today on GoFrogs.com.

We knew there would be some roster attrition to meet the NCAA roster limit, which is 40 this year.

As of right now, the roster has 38 players on it. Guys currently missing from it:

-Sophomore IF Rhett Maynard
                -Freshman IF Jake Maynard (Rhett's little brother)
                -Freshman OF Thomas DiLandri
                -Sophomore P Jacob Speaker
                -Sophomore P Dylan Bright
                -Redshirt Freshman P Gehrig Mosiello (Bill Mosiello's son)
                -Freshman P Ethan Roark

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Lanley III View Post
                  -Sophomore P Jacob Speaker
                  -Redshirt Freshman P Gehrig Mosiello (Bill Mosiello's son)
                  We've got to pick up an Honus and a Cobb on the pitching staff ...

Comment

37 days 'til first pitch.

The preseason poll from Perfect Game was released last night. They've got the Frogs ranked 8th.

Comment

First pitch is 5 weeks from today.

The Rangers have listed ticket information for the 3-game weekend series against Nebraska at Globe Life Field in late February.

For now, it looks like they're just selling passes for the entire weekend. $50 for adults, $40 for kiddos 13 & under.

Comment

• RSK
                        RSK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bastards. I only want to go to one bloody game. I'll be damned if I'm paying 100-150 for one GD game.

• Lyle Lanley III
                        Editing a comment
                        I hope they'll put single-game tickets on sale at some point. If not, maybe I'll split weekend passes with you.

It sounds like there will be single-game tickets available for the Nebraska series - and that tickets to those games are included in season ticket packages. All tickets to the games at Globe Life are GA.

Comment

Working...
                      X